As the Coronavirus continues to spread throughout the United States, the Diocese of Cheyenne is committed to taking all reasonable precautions to prevent transmission of the virus. Therefore, from March 13 to April 8, 2020, a dispensation from the obligation to attend Holy Mass (canon 1245) is granted to:
- those of any age who are ill, and
- those with an underlying health condition, such as chronic lung disease, COPD, asthma, etc.
- Moreover, any person over 60 years old may choose to use this dispensation.
Stay home if you are sick or in a high-risk category, since this virus is primarily transmitted through contact with respiratory droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes. Sunday Mass is broadcast on K2 (ABC) at 9 AM.
CORONAVIRUS PRECAUTIONS FOR MASS:
- Mandatory hand-washing for all ministers and thorough washing of all liturgical vessels.
- Permission to suspend Holy Communion from the Chalice accompanied by encouragement to receive Holy Communion in the hand and not on the tongue.
- Permission to suspend physical contact during the Sign of Peace.
- Permission to empty Holy Water fonts.
Please note: these precautions are of limited effectiveness. They are no substitute for staying home when you are ill.
We will continue to monitor the progression of this disease in Wyoming and make appropriate recommendations.